TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - My thoughts....
People Seeking Info

Subject My thoughts....

Posted by Madhatter10-6 on July 17, 2014 at 9:09 AM
  This message has been viewed 960 times.

In Reply To Haltec (and simular) vs. Nistune vs. ECU Chip posted by Jiro on July 16, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Message I have put a decent amount of time into researching this and have some real world experience with all three systems with so I maybe able to help clear up some things for you.

ECU Chip: This it taking the factory ECU and replacing the OEM static air fuel tables and ignition tables with new ones. Everything else about the ECU and its capabilities will be exactly the same. You can have a generic chip made like JWT sells or a custom tune made by Nistune specific to your car on a dyno.

Pros:
Its really easy to do
Its incredibly cost effective
Its safe for a lightly modified car

Cons:
It is taking a one size fits all approach to your car (assuming your chip is generic and not from a custom tune)
It will not be an ideal tune as each car is slightly different
Going forward its not easily expanded on
You still have the need for piggy back devices in most cases ( boost controller, trac control, etc)

Nistune: Is an eprom emulator. There are several systems on the market like this....the first being Ash's Zem. What these are doing is replacing your factory EPROM with a chip that can be written and rewritten almost like a CDRW. So with this setup you can have the drive-ability of a factory car (all cold start and idle maps are untouched) but still have a custom tune. A lot of shops will tune with this piece of software and then burn a custom chip and then install that static chip into their customers car. Lately these products are becoming more expandable and adding things like flex fuel and traction control.

Pros:
Easy install
Cost effective
Great option for most people

Cons:
You will still need a lot of third party devices (boost controller, fuel pump controller, etc)
Lack of full control over every aspect of the engine

Haltech (And Other Standalone s): This is taking the factory ECU 100% out of the equation. What you then have is a fully customizable ECU with almost infinite options and expandablity. There is almost nothing that is off limits. You can adjust everything from how much extra fuel is added during a cold start to having a dual fuel pump setup that is armed at different PSI levels while controlling your boost and a 3 stage nitros system. You can also mix and match sensors. I am running a Nissan Q45 TPS on my Toyota Supra. I just punched into Haltech gave it min and max settings and 10 seconds later it was all setup. You can do this with most sensors so your no longer bound to any make or model and can choose your components based on quality and price and are no longer limited to what the factory wanted you to have. The biggest advantage to this style system is that everything plays in one Ecosystem. Your Wide-band 02, boost controller and AIT all know what the other is doing compared to a piggy back system where everything is divorced. This makes trouble shooting and safety much easier to manage.

Pros:
Complete control
Future Proof (ish)
Excellent safety controls
More accurate tune
Ability to setup the system exactly how you want
Eliminates the need for multiple piggy back systems
Easily expandable
Ability to run MAP
Data-logging
Easier to troubleshoot

Cons:
Initial Purchase price (Although when you look selling off factory and piggyback systems a lot of the cost is offset)
Initial Setup
Less community support
If MAP you will need a new tune when new hardware is added as VE has changed (Usually not needed with MAF)

Summary: For a stage 3-5 ish Z where the owner doesn't care about maxing out the setup and is truly done modding the car I don't see any reason not to have a safe generic chip. For people that are going above this point a custom tune is needed for safety and getting the most out of the hardware. If you're not going to add a lot of piggy backs and don't see the need for expandability Nistune is fine. If your going to be upgrading the car and want the max of your hardware Haltech (true standalone system) is the best route. After having all three systems I will ALWAYS go Haltech from now on.

Side topic: When looking at the standalone's that are on the market right now and considering price / features / install / software etc I think that Haltech is the clear winner for the 300ZX.

Hope this helped

Madhatter10-6

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.